Dr Surendra Kapoor
Vedic Jyotish and Vrksha Ayurveda act as a savior of Environment and ecological balance in a unique way.
The whole world is a manifestation of five elements or Panchatatwa viz, Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Space. The Akashtatwa or space element works in higher dimensions of life, whereas the other four basic elements are of great utility in day to day life.
Both the subjects Vedic Jyotish and Sthapatya Ved are primarily based on these five elements, Astronomy and Nature Sciences. As such our Rasis have formulated rules and practices to take care of ‘Prakriti’ or Environment. Planets, Sun, Moon, Earth, Rashi, Trees, Herbs, Animals, Food, Traditions and Festivals etc. Have been incorporated to Faith, Religion, Environment and Ecological balance.
As per Vedic Jyotisha person can become free of ailments, physical, social and economic problems by planting a plant or tree as per the native’s birth Nakshatra (constellation). This is perhaps one of the reasons why our ancestors considered trees as equivalent to gods and goddesses and revered them as divine elements. Worshipping the tree or plant as per the native’s Nakshatra provides one with the highest merit.
Watering the particular tree and/or plant regularly by natives, circumambulating few times around it and worshipping it fulfils all wishes and removes all the impediments of life. There are mantras to be recited while worshipping each tree. The idea behind this benediction was that if anything is worshipped then it is not possible to cause any harm to it.
As per the Hindu belief all vegetation—trees, plants, and roots have originated from lord Brahama’s hair and are useful. In fact, trees have been aptly compared with Rudra Lord Shiva. Just as Lord Shiva consumed poison and provided nectar to human beings, the trees also utilize the carbon-dioxide and provide oxygen to us.
In the Atharvaveda, the earth is considered as the mother and the people living on it symbolize her sons. Vedas have directed to respect tree and plants as parents. Trees provide us with prana vayu or oxygen; they not only cleanse the environment but also maintain a harmony between earth and the sky. Vedas regard a tree as equivalent to ten sons. In the astrological study, a person can become free of ailments, physical, social and economic problems by planting a plant or tree as per the existing constellation at the time of his/her birth. This is perhaps one of the reasons why our ancestors considered trees as equivalent to gods and goddesses and revered them as divine elements. Worshipping the tree or plant as per the nakshatra provides one with the highest merit. The trees to be worshipped as per the 27 constellations or nakshatras and their benefits are given below-
1. Ashwini nakshatra- Kuchla or strychnine is the tree associated with Ashwini Nakshatra. Watering this tree regularly, circumambulating 11 times around it and touching it fulfills all wishes and removes all the impediments of life.
2. Bharani nakshatra- Awala or Indian gooseberry is the suggested tree for this nakshatra. Natives of Bharani nakshatra should put kumkum on this tree every day, offer unbroken grains (akshat) and recite hymns and meditate upon ishtha devta while sitting under this tree.
3. Krittika nakshatra- Gular or cluster fig is the ruling tree of this nakshatra. Natives of Krittika nakshatra should circumambulate around this tree 7 times every Friday. It is also beneficial to offer rice grains on the roots of this tree.
4. Rohini nakshatra- Jamun tree is the one meant to be worshipped by the natives of this nakshatra. Rohini natives should offer water to this tree, perform circumambulation or parikrama around it and offer a little sugar and wheat on its root on the day of Rohini nakshatra. Doing so proves to be extremely virtuous for the people belonging to this nakshatra.
5. Mrigshira nakshatra- Kattha or Acacia catechu is the tree linked with this nakshatra. Offering water to it and worshipping it every Wednesday provides excellent results to the natives belonging to this nakshatra. It is also auspicious to keep a small twig in one’s pocket. It is however not good to plant this tree in the house.
6. Adra nakshatra- Krishna kamal flower is the ruling tree of this nakshatra. The natives of this nakshatra should regularly circumambulate around this tree and offer durba grass for wish fulfillment.
7. Punarvasu nakshatra- Babool tree is associated with this nakshatra. Natives belonging to this nakshatra should consume a few leaves of this tree every day and also keep a twig of this tree with them to ensure good fortune.
8. Pushya nakshatra- Peepal or sacred fig is the divine tree suggested for this nakshatra. Natives of this nakshatra should water this tree, offer a little sugar and circumambulate around it every day. One should also touch the tree every day except Saturdays.
9. Ashlesha nakshatra- Champa is the ruling tree of this nakshatra. Natives can benefit largely by sitting under this tree and touching it every day. Keeping the fruit of this tree in the locker is also beneficial for them.
10. Magha nakshatra- Bargad or banyan tree is the ruling tree of this nakshatra. Natives should take the roots of this tree and keep it in the pocket always. It should not be kept close to oneself during night. Circumambulating around it every day is also beneficial.
11. Purba Phalguni nakshatra- Ashok tree is the ruling tree of this nakshatra. One should pluck seven leaves of this tree on Monday and keep them in the locker. Natives should sit under the shade of this tree on the day of Purva phalguni nakshatra and circumambulate seven times around it.
12. Uttara phalguni nakshatra- Khejdi or prosopis cineraria tree is the tree suggested for this nakshatra. To offer sesame seeds and fruits on the roots of this tree is extremely virtuous for Uttara phalguni nakshatra natives.
13. Hasta nakshatra- Juhi or Jasmine plant is the divine plant of this nakshatra. People belonging to this nakshatra should offer water to this tree and pluck nine leaves of this tree in an auspicious muhurta and keep them in the house with care.
14.& 15. Chitra and mool nakshatra- Bel is the divine tree for this nakshatra. One should circumambulate around it and offer water to it every day. Offering the leaves of this tree to Lord Shiva is highly meritorious for natives of this nakshatra.
16. Swati nakshatra- Arjun tree is the divine tree to be worshipped by the natives of this nakshatra. They should touch this tree every day and also keep a small bark of this tree in their pockets.
17.& 18. Vishakha and anuradha nakshatra- Naagkeshar or Ironwood tree is the ruling tree of this nakshatra. A native of this nakshatra should plant this tree in his or her house and sprinkle milk on its roots regularly.
19. Jyeshtha nakshatra- Neem tree is the divine tree associated with this nakshatra. One should touch this tree and eat its tendril every day. It is beneficial to put revari sweets, sesame seeds and sugar on the roots of this tree.
20.& 21. Purvashada and Shravan nakshatra- Ashok tree is the divine tree associated with this nakshatra. People belonging to this nakshatra should worship this tree every day. They should offer turmeric and water on its roots every Wednesday. On Guru Pushya, the natives should worship the tree and then break one of its roots for use. But before doing so, it is necessary to seek permission from the tree.
22. Uttaraashadh nakshatra- Kathal or Jackfruit tree rules over this nakshatra. Natives of this nakshatra need to perform parikrama around this tree. They should sit under this tree for some time and meditate upon their ishta devta.
23. Dhanishtha nakshatra- Shami or Coconut tree is the ruling tree of this nakshatra. One should plant a coconut tree in his or her house and nurture it.
24. Shatbhisha nakshatra- Kadamha is the ruling tree of this nakshatra. Keeping a mango twig in the bedroom is highly beneficial for the natives of this nakshatra. Shathabhisha nakshatra natives should touch this tree and share all problems with it. Doing so is believed to drive away all troubles from life.
25. Uttara bhadrapada nakshatra- Neem tree is the tree to be worshipped as per this nakshatra. Natives should keep it in the bedroom or study room. They should also put 4-5 leaves of this tree in their bathing water.
26. Purva bhadrapada nakshatra- Mango tree is the suggested tree to be worshipped by people of this nakshatra. The natives should plant it in their house and nurture it. Worshipping this tree by offering water, unbroken rice and kumkum provides extraordinary benefits.
27. Revati nakshatra- Mahua is the ruling tree of this nakshatra. One should keep an imarti sweet under this tree on Purnima day. One should however avoid planting this tree inside the orchard of the house.
People who cannot plant these trees can keep a picture or painting of the recommended tree and wear the roots of these trees.