To propitiate Maa Mahalakshmi on this day, a fast is observed by married couples or married women. A puja is conducted to seek Maa Mahalakshmi’s blessings. Maa Mahalakshmi is the wife of Lord Vishnu and she symbolizes wealth and prosperity.
To observe vrata on this day, it is important to following the below 8 rules and rituals:
- Nonvegetarian food should be strictly avoided
- The Kalash should be filled with water and adorned with betel leaves
- a coconut should be placed on top of the Kalash
- A red cloth must be tied around the Kalash with a red thread
- it should be further decorated with four horizontal lines, swastika with red kumkum. These indicate Chatur Veda, symbolizing prosperity and purity
- In the Kalash, rice and coins must be placed in the water
This Kalash is now ready to be worshiped as Maa Mahalakshmi. Now the Kalash should be placed in a place where regular prayers are conducted. Also, the lighting of diyas is important. Mantras like Satanamavali, Lakshmi Sahasranama stotra, Lakshmi Ashtottara should be performed.
As bhog, at least nine varieties of delicacies must be offered. They should be a combination of sweet and savory foods.